Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cuban Food & Austrian Wine Perfect Match

Megan had her friend, Kirsten, in town Saturday night for the Ravens v Colts game (sorry babe). This was the Kirsten's first time to Richmond so we wanted to take her to one of our favorite restaurants, Kuba Kuba . We all split Empanadas (one beef & one spinach), Pork Shank, Grilled Salmon with Coconut Risotto Fritters. This wine I have had before in Chicago and loved it there so wanted to give it a shot with the Cuba fare.


2007 Loimer Gruner Veltliner "Lois"

I love the package for this wine. It screams SPRING! I'm ready for some warm weather. Gruner Veltliner (GROO-ner VELT-lie-ner) is an Austrian grape that is very similar to Sauv Blanc & Pinot Gris. Lois had a very zesty lemon, lime & spiciness on the nose. The lime really came through on the palate along with green apple and finished with great acidity and mineral notes. I love minerally white wines. I know that's not a word. I'm tired of oak in my whites. It coves up the fruit. Grapes are a fruit so therefore you should taste fruit in the wine first then the oak! Love this wine and can't wait til the summer to drink more in the hammock. 90pts

No comments: